Pages

12.24.2012

The Beasts of the Southern Wild

When two minds collide, a debate is born. But what if it's one mind divided? That was where I found myself shortly after viewing The Beasts of the Southern Wild, a film I find difficult to critique. On one hand, it is a wonderfully envisioned tale of magic realism, a movie that relishes in its creativity, and relies heavily on its visual aesthetic. However, through an objective lens, the film's visual achievements are marred by, among other things, a thin story lacking narrative flow.

This is, of course, nothing new. Anything that we evaluate will lead us to draw pros and cons, to balance our decisions and arrive at a conclusion. And I'm not even really sure why this film has divided me? There have been many films (and books, and albums) that I can honestly say were, from an objective viewpoint, problematic. But I gave the middle finger to objectivity because subjectively, I absolutely love them: be they a poorly written book with amazing ideas and characters, or a band that lacks musical chops but generates a powerful and raw energy that pulses through your veins.

Perhaps there's the distinction and I've answered my own question. I love those works, but I can't say I love The Beasts of the Southern Wild. I really liked it, but it's harder to disregard the flaws when you only like something. For love, we'll overlook pretty much anything.

The Beasts of the Southern Wild
Score: 75%

No comments:

Post a Comment